Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Baby Projects: Holiday Edition



I remember when my sister started having kids. We began receiving all these adorable craft presents for holidays and birthdays. (A wooden basket with a handprint of her fist born still sits in my dad's bathroom as a toothbrush holder) There's something so sweet about receiving homemade gifts from a little one. In addition it being a sentimental token for the recipient, the mother gets a whole new world of gift ideas at her disposal. Thank goodness for that. This year has been a bit chaotic so I was thankful that the Munchkin Craft Co. was around for my holiday needs.

(SPOILER ALERT: Grandparents may want to skip this posting. Unless, of course, you're okay with not being surprised on Christmas morning.)

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Holiday Gift #1: Brayden's Footprint Art

I don't know why, but I love handprint and footprint art. Lauren would probably say it's because I'm as mature as a kindergartner. I'm okay with that though. With that in mind, Brayden and I made some pretty crafty art for his first Christmas. It was sort of a 2.5 person job at the beginning so Lauren helped me get Brayden's footprint on paper. Brayden was definitely interested in the process. He was more interested in trying to figure out what the crap on his feet tasted like. I was happy to see him fail at this. As I thwarted his attempts, Lauren just kept yelling out the words "NON-TOXIC." I kindly had to remind him that "non-toxic" doesn't mean you should make a three-course meal out of it. Shoes might be non-toxic too, but I don't think my hubby would be too thrilled if I served up a pair of camel colored pumps for dinner tonight.

Too confused to misbehave.
My little guy's big foot.

Once that was done, I used markers and wiggly-eyes to turn the footprints into snowmen, reindeer and Christmas trees.

If you couldn't tell, this one is the reindeer.
 I bought a five-pack of small canvas boards (I think they were 6x8-inches) at Michael's for a few bucks. I mounted the pictures onto the canvas and added a little scalloped circle to each one. The circle's read "Brayden's first Christmas." After that, I added cute little dotted or striped borders to each one (Lauren had been kind enough to cut the paper to the right size for the canvas) and called it a day. Brayden officially created his first piece of artwork.

From Brayden, with love (and confusion).

Holiday Gift #2: Brayden's Adventure Calendar

If you recall (or even if you don't), a while back, I took some crafty pictures of Brayden with fun backgrounds. My "adventure pictures" came out so cute that I decided to take a few more and turn them into a calendar for some family members. I used most of the pictures I had and assigned months to them based on the content. I figured out which months I still needed and came up with an idea that went with that month.

For the cover, I pulled out a suitcase, a map and some other travel related things and put them all together. With Brayden. I got some hilarious pictures of him sitting in the suitcase and used PhotoShop to put it together with a faded map as the background. The calendar came out pretty great so I'm excited for everyone to get it.

I love that Brayden looks like he's reading the map in the middle photo on the right.

Wearing a bow tie for his big date.

One of my favorite pictures in the calendar.
I have a few other projects I'm working on for the holidays, but as usual, things are too busy for me to be efficient. We'll see how many I actually get around to finishing. Thank goodness Christmas is still two weeks away.

2 comments:

  1. So adorable! I love the snowman! Definitely doing this with my little ones this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The map was subsequently eaten by two BAD DOGS!

    ReplyDelete