Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Chaos


I feel like I'm part of some crazy holiday movie where the main character just keeps being faced with an increasing amount of chaos. Any minute now, I'm expecting to run into Ryan Reynolds, who will undoubtedly add another level of crazy to my month (I suppose "hoping" is a better word than "expecting"...).

Really... it's been a busy few weeks.

Busy making 2,408 batches of cookies? Yep.

Dealing with a 6-month growth spurt that has caused my adorable son to go on a nap-strike? Yep.

Trying to make 2,408 batches of cookies one-handed while holding a non-sleeping infant? Yep.

Batches 8, 24, 109, and 607.
Listening to my dog bark and go crazy everytime the mailman, UPS guy, FedEx truck (or any other person at all) walks near our house? Of course.

Finding time to shop for pressents, wrap gifts, decorate the house, mail boxes, send Christmas cards, clean the house, plan Christmas dinner and get groceries? Sort of...

Yes, that IS a stocking for our dog.
Keeping my sanity? I knew I was forgetting something...

It's funny how most of the items on the list are normal holiday-related tasks that I do every year. Yet for some reason, it all feels a million times more chaotic this year. I'm assuming it's the fact that I have another person to take care of. A person who demands my attention every moment he's awake (which, let's be honest, is A LOT considering this little bugger isn't really friends with my good yet distant pal "sleep"). I think he demands the attention of about eight people all at once.

Lauren keeps telling me to stop doing things. I just laugh at him in my head. And then out loud. Thankfully, his lectures on why I should cool it actually help me - but not in the way he'd like. When he tells me that I don't really need to bake 80 different kinds of cookies for everyone we know, I just remember why I do it: Because I love Christmas. I love having an excuse to be extra-kind and extra-thoughtful to the people in my life. I love going the extra mile and making sure everyone I care about knows how special they are to me. Yep, I'm going to make a Santa card for my nieces and nephew. I'm going to write a Christmas poem for my husband to read while he's opening his gifts. I'm going to bake hundreds of cookies for people I know. Because that's what the holiday season is about to me - spreading love and kindness wherever I can. And I wouldn't be me if I didn't go above and beyond and do more than I should. The people in my life do more than they should all year round. I like returning the favor.

Happy Holidays

To his cousins. From Brayden, with love.
I really wish this they had this in his size. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment