Friday, January 11, 2013

S-L-E-E-P actually spells "insanity"

Brayden's war on sleep has gone on long enough. There have been way too many causalities and way too much time spent trying to repair the damage from the battles. It has become clear that Brayden is the victor. He can outlast, outwit and outbattle sleep with his eyes closed (ha!). Let's call it a "win" and move on. It's a new year and I'd really like 2013 to include some of that awesome stuff that happens when you put your head on a pillow and close your eyes. Unfortunately, peace talk agreements don't seem to be on the horizon, so I think Mom and Dad need to play UN and implement some serious sanctions to end this catastrophe.

"Sleep? Ewwwwwwwwwww........."
It's funny insane how much of an issue this has been for our little guy. Every time I think we're finally making progress, something happens and we're back on the bags-under-the-eyes train once again. In November, he was actually doing great. He was taking two naps a day and sleeping pretty much through the night. We'd give him a dream feed around 3am to help him make it through the rest of the night (we quickly learned that without it, he'd wake up at 5 and be up for the day) and he'd wake up at 7. Lovely.

A few days before Christmas, though, he started crying when we put him down for the night. That continued for almost two weeks. We decided to phase out the dream feed and see how it went. At first, it looked good. The crying at bedtime stopped and he was only waking up once (at either 11 or 4ish) to eat. And he'd sleep until 6 or 6:30. Not ideal, but much better than before.

Now? Ha.

He's back to crying at bedtime. And last night he woke up at 11. And 5. And was up for the day at that time. And he's back to refusing his naps. It's all a vicious cycle really. Bad night sleep = bad day sleep. Bad day sleep = bad night sleep. Not sure what we need to do to get off this crazy train, but I sure am ready.

But you look so sweet when you actually sleep darling!
Lauren and I have (once again) analyzed the situation in every possible way we can imagine to try to come up with a solution. (Before I had Brayden, if anyone had told me I'd lose so much sleep over sleep, I would have given them my crazy face.) So now we're back on the circuit. Trying to figure out what we can do to improve the situation. It's no longer a matter of letting him cry-it-out in order to learn to sleep on his own. Brayden knows how to do that. He simply chooses not to. And that... I'm not sure how to fight.

Is this really normal? Is getting a baby on a sleep schedule seriously this much of a hassle? Or is it just my own lovely bundle of joy? Or perhaps an error I've made along the way? We heard through the grapevine about someone who told his wife that if it wasn't for the "annoying sleep thing," he'd want to keep having kids. I had to chuckle at that. At least some other people think it's a bit of an issue as well. Comfort in misery, I suppose.

In any event, we have a new plan in the works. But because this is a war, I'd hate for the intelligence to end up in enemy hands. Let's just cross our fingers and hope it works.

"Sorry mom. I'd rather be playing."




5 comments:

  1. Is it normal? Are you kidding me? At my mom's group, we had to make a decision to stop talking about sleep issues at playgroups because that's ALL WE TALKED ABOUT. It is so normal that it's sad.

    I think there are three types of kids - those who sleep no matter what you do, those who don't sleep no matter what you do, and those who can be coaxed into sleeping. You might just have a non-sleeper. Or a coaxer that takes a LOT of work. Keep at it. It gets better. Aiden was sleeping on a reliable schedule around 8 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you referring to the "introduce him to schnapps" plan? I think that's a good plan for him...and for me.

    BTW, I'm surprised you can be so witty on such little sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so normal. People who deny it are either liars or are in the teeny tiny minority. Lena was born a great sleeper, but at exactly 15 weeks (right when it happened for Charlotte too), MAJOR regression. I'm trying to proactive and conquer it if we can, but it's so, so normal. You may not feel that way because there are people out there that feel like they can't say anything negative about their sweet little angel baby. We had to do CIO for the 5 am wake up with Charlotte. Hang in there. It's all you can do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had posted a comment during a middle of the night dream feed (scratch that- I ATTEMPTED to post a comment, actually several on your blog) and wanted to reiterate just how much I value this post. Wow, I sure needed to read it. Sometimes it's hard to remember than other parents are experiencing difficult sleepers and that your baby is completely normal. I find some solace that I'm not the only one going insane. ;)

    And because I apparently didn't post my comments like I thought I had (good grief) ill just say that I thoroughly enjoyed your "favorite things" post, too. My girl loves small stuffed animals and mirrors just like your son did at her age. I'm kicking myself for returning the kick and play we received from my baby shower (we had a playmat and thought what's the point in having two) because I have heard NOTHING but amazing things about it. Everyone on my birth board praises it so much and the piano is just too cute. Live and learn I suppose!!!

    I know I had more but ill just leave it at that because my brain is on the fritz from a lack of sleep last night.(surprise!!) just wanted to tell you your blog is fantastic and I'm so glad you commented on my blog so that I could find yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely hard to remember that other parents go through the same thing. Especially when it seems like the only vocal ones are those whose babies have "slept through the night since they were six weeks old." Those babies are definitely in the minority, but because their parents are more vocal about their experiences, it seems like the norm and can be frustrating. It gets better, don't worry. :)

      Thanks again for the kind words on the blog. :)

      Delete