Friday, March 1, 2013

My March Madness Challenge

I'm a big fan of March Madness. And with Michigan going strong this year, it should be even more exciting than usual. I fully anticipate Brayden hearing a bevy of inappropriate language and just hope that I don't have to talk my husband down from the ledge - again.

While I'm certainly looking forward to the many hours spent filling out brackets and watching basketball, I've decided to take on my own March Madness Challenge. And because (as usual) my aspirations are overly ambitious, I'm honestly not sure how it's going to pan out.

Since my world essentially revolves around the two men in my life, I wanted to try to focus on some other aspects of my life this month (already you're seeing why this will be such a challenge, no?). That's the inspiration for the chaos. And now the chaos itself.

The Cooking Part


Despite owning enough cookbooks to try a new recipe a day for the rest of my life, I have never gone through one cover to cover. (Don't worry, this isn't going to be a Julia and Julia moment here) For Christmas, one of my sisters bought me the cookbook I had been eyeing - The Smitten Kitchen. If I were going to try every recipe in a cookbook, this would be the one. I can honestly say there aren't many recipes that don't look delicious.

I may eventually go though all of them, but I'm aiming smaller for now. I'm shooting for 30 recipes in 30 days (because come on, I don't need another thing to think about on Easter!). This includes breakfast, lunch, dinner and desserts - so my husband should be getting an even bigger array of meals than usual. I already cook quite a bit, but with this goal, it's going to be amped up even more.(Potential bonus = the possibility that Brayden will learn that between the hours of 5 and 6, he actually does not need to be held by me)

The menu is planned, the groceries for the week are stored and meal #1 starts tonight.

The Running Part


When I get busy, working out gets cut way more often than it should. I know that I feel more energized when I'm running and doing yoga; I know that it keeps me sane keeps me from killing my husband when he asks me something I've told him a dozen times; I know that despite the effort involved, it really is great time for myself. And yet, when the stress level rises, the working out falls.

In hopes of getting myself to the mat more often, I already bought a multi-class yoga pass that expires in mid-April. And now I've decided to register for the GW Parkway Classic. I've done this race a few times and it's one of my favorites. It's a 10-miler in April and the course is just beautiful. Hopefully, with that looming in front of me, I will have to make time to run. Right?

And finally, the most difficult one of all...

The Writing Part


This is it. This is going to be the month that I finally (yes, finally) resume writing my book. (Though really, I should just say "start writing my book" since ten pages doesn't count for much)

I've always had some overriding reason why I can't do it. Grad school. Full-time reporting. Full-time reporting on the Hill. Grad school again. Teaching. Oh and the recent favorite - "um, I have a baby." There's always going to be something going on in my life that keeps me busy. If I just keep waiting until I have enough free time to write it, it simply won't get written. And seeing as how this is one of my life goals to write books, that's not the path I want to take.

So March is going to be the month. This weekend, I'm going to get everything organized and talk to Lauren about getting me some blocks of uninterrupted writing time each week. He's been pretty darn supportive of this endeavor so far, so I'm sure we'll be able to figure something out. And for the record, this is a "good faith" goal. There's no 30-in-30 or 10-mile race date. It's just a good faith effort to get myself into a regular writing pattern this month.

And there you have it. My own March Madness Challenge. With the number of hours in a day and the number of hours that all this requires, I doubt I'll be a No. 2 seed. But come on, everyone knows that March Madness is a time for upsets. :)

6 comments:

  1. You are WAY more ambitious than I am. Kudos. Many, many kudos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... I think keeping Aiden occupied is just as ambitious. ;)

      Delete
  2. Following over from the Aloha Friday Blog Hop - that Smitten Kitchen cookbook just looks like you have to dive right in and make a recipe! I definitely want to check it out :)

    -Aukele
    InstantMommie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. March Madness is also wild around here. Couldn't believe that my alma mater VCU made it to the final four just two years ago and have been a strong team for a few years now!

    Anyhow I admire your ambitions - I definitely need to set some fr myself. I've been trying to get new recipes to try and would love to read a review of the cookbook after you've completed your challenge.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Will definitely keep you posted. :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your setting this goal! I know you will stick to it! Resolve!

    -Karen
    www.yourstylistkaren.com

    ReplyDelete