Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Life Therapy

I love those unexpected moments in life that give you the gift of serenity and joy. Because you weren't expecting it, they have this authenticity that just seems to hit you in the deepest and most lasting way.

My moment came this morning.

I did something I haven't done in probably six to eight months. I went for a jog by myself. No baby stroller. No dogs. No hubby. No iPod. And really - it was amazing. Almost like "life therapy." Life can get so chaotic, so busy, so frantic and full of obligations and to-do lists. It can be difficult to slow down amid all that -- to ground yourself and to really connect to a place of joy and peace. 

Everyone has different things that ground them, that help them live more authentically, more peacefully. For me, it can be yoga; it can be writing; it can be art; it can be jogging. But because jogging has turned into something I do with my little guy (or pups or hubby), I rarely find that kind of peace with it anymore. Which is why this morning's run was the biggest blessing ever. 

My running path (a few weeks ago, while on a walk with my little man)

I was able to just be. I wasn't thinking about the things I had to do today. I wasn't worrying, wasn't preoccupied with a baby who was being fussy. I was just enjoying being outside in the beautiful morning weather. And it reminded me why I love mornings so much. It's that feeling of newness... of possibility. The idea that the day can still be anything. It's the quietness of people at peace - the world hasn't started to frantically tackle their to-do list yet. People aren't having bad days. People aren't angry. People are just at peace. It's the morning air - that still has the warmth of summer, but that cool crispness that tells you the sun hasn't quite woken up yet. 

I have always loved the mornings. And I realize that I haven't been taking advantage of the time of day I feel most at peace; I've just been sleeping through it. (Funny how you end up not doing the things that will help you out the most.) So not only was it a peaceful run that started my day off in such a great way that I'm still in a peaceful mood (despite today's amount of chaos), but it reminded me to take care of myself. It's something I too often forget to do. It doesn't take much to wake up and write, or to go for a jog by myself. The effects are always so beautiful and seem to have such an impact on my life and those around me, so I'm not sure why it's so hard to make that space in my life for my own time. But I need to do more of it.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's extra hard to make time for yourself when you have kids - you always feel like there's something you "should" be doing. You're completely right though. Gotta make that me-time. Thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right... it did get harder with kids. But I think I'd always have some kind of excuse. ;)

      Delete
  2. i love those little moments. they make all the difference in a day, and in life, really! thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make a difference, don't they? :)

      Delete