Tuesday, October 20, 2015

My Future Engineer



Brayden has recently decided he wants to be an engineer. It was a quite amusing conversation, actually.

It started one day when I asked him what he wants to be when he grows up. His response? "You'll just have to wait and see, Mommy." Ha! Alright, then. Thanks, kid.

We proceeded to discuss different occupations, listing them one by one and explaining what they do. Brayden contributed his fair share of ideas but when I got to engineer, he stopped me right there.

"That's it! I want to be an engineer when I grow up. I want to build things! But I don't know how to build things yet."

I explained to him that it was perfectly alright that he doesn't know the intricacies of the profession yet - that's what school is for (and student loans, for that matter).

A week later, he and I were driving in the car again and he said, "Mommy, when I grow up and am an engineer, I want to make a car that flies."

Not a bad aspiration. He followed up his ambition with, "Mommy, why don't cars fly?"

Trying to figure out an easy explanation for it that a 3-year-old might be able to grasp, I said it was because they are made of metal and metal is very heavy. His response?

"But are airplanes made of metal?"

(Insert speechlessness here)

It was then I realized that I'm starting to actually use all of those graduate degrees I have just to talk to my three year old. ;)  I had to back track and give him an entirely different - more complex - reason why cars do not fly.

You know, I really thought I would have been okay with the metal reason considering that my son still wears diapers at night! Apparently not.


1 comment:

  1. I told this story to your nephew and it is one of Britton's favorites. He LOVES that Brayden threw that back at you. Giggles to himself randomly because of it.

    ReplyDelete